[Cube] re: upgrade

Vic Mabus vmabus at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 18:58:31 PST 2009

    From: "Mike Gilpin" <mike at gilpinhome.net>
    Subject: Re: [Cube] upgrade
    To: "A place to discuss Apple's Cube."
    <cube at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

    Yeah, the prices for upgrades at OWC are probably twice what you
    paid for
    your entire cube!

    Maxing out the memory is much cheaper, and reports are that it
    helps. I have
    some ordered right now for my cube.

    If you're daring enough you can replace the graphics card with a
    better one
    (either Mac-specific or flashed PC one), and you'll see a better GUI
    performance using OS X. Leopard especially relies heavily on GPU for
    a lot
    of processing.

    Occasionally you can find used upgrade cards on eBay, but they are rare.

    Mike

The seller I swapped with (for my 4-month-old Dell) had already upgraded the graphics card (GeForce 6200).  I have RAM I can scavenge from my Sawtooth.  I was mainly thinking of the processor, as I know Tiger would run great at 1GHz! (or more)

Can anyone tell me if the slot-drive can be replaced by a standard laptop type?  I have a couple DVD-R drives available.

Thanx to all!
V Mabus