[Cube] OT: Mail Problem

Da Pen macstonelson at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 15:31:11 PST 2009

Hello,
This is OT, please respond off-list.  My Cube is stock 450 with 1gb/250hd, ethernet connected to cable dsl, OS X 4.11, Mail 2.1.3.

Wonder if anyone would know why I have the following problem?

I am trying to configure a new web site and make a POP email account for the new domain in my Mail app.  Had no problems with my yahoo pop account.  Here's the thing.  I can get through the incoming mail setup dialogue and then it's on to the outgoing (SMTP) dialogue setup.  I have created the SMTP server to choose in this dialogue.  According to the hosting co. I don't choose any authentication options.  When I go to confirm the smtp server setup - there is a long wait and then a dialogue comes up telling me that no connection was made to the smtp server and that if I proceed I will not be able to collect email.  I think I have tried every option and combination possible for server setup - including endeavoring to use the authentication options.  The hosting co did their thing and were able to connect to both smtp and pop ports to the account.  Any body got an idea what my next step should be to get this to work?

Thanks in advance. Dave