[Cube] Confession...

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Fri Mar 6 14:39:25 PST 2009

I too had considered a hackintosh, and what I was thinking was to take
a SERVER chassis so that I could put my main control room computer in
a rack like all of my other signal processing gear.  In fact, I
actually got a first generation G4 Xserve and set it up as a client
with a proper video card and non-server OS X, but the fans were
RIDICULOUSLY loud.  I mean, unless it was in an Xrack, it sounded like
a jet aircraft.  LOL!  So, I got rid of it and lost no money.

I hear the G5 Xserves are easier to set up as a client and can take
real good video cards without needing a riser card, and the fans are
supposed to be much, much quieter.  Those are down to about $800.00 on
eBay now, so I may actually go that route.  Anyone know how quiet the
fans actually are in a G5 Xserve?  I've never actually been next to
one, but if it's as quiet as my G5 BUB that would be perfect.

BTW: I don't think a bunch of Cube owners talking about options now
that the Cube is so old is off topic at all.  In fact, judging from
the activity of this thread, I'd say it was the most topical
discussion we could be having. ;^)

George