[Cube] How to make the Cube a multimedia server

Riba riba at ml1.net
Fri Mar 20 04:57:18 PDT 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:38 +0100, "Luis Meleiro" <luis_meleiro at cilsp.com>
wrote:

> >It might be easier to go the VGA route...
> VGA signal is weaker/distortioned in depth colour when connected to an
> LCD, isn't it!?

Well, the VGA/composite is an analog signal, and there is some quality
loss in the conversion and cabling. DVI/HDMI is pure digital, hance no
signal loss there. But if you are not into all this HDTV thing (and you
are not since Cube is not able to play it :)), it is not a major cause
for concern.

> >The main question is what would be your usage pattern for
> >this media server, then we can offer better suggestions. :)
>
> I am actually thinking about movies, video clips, music and web surfing
> (there's maybe more stuff that I can recall of right now).

Movies should be fine up to a certain point.... I think you won't be
able to play full HD content, but if you are like me, you may not care
about it.

> >Also, you'd probably want some way to remote control it...
> 1. I could have it remotely controled using Apple's Remote Desktop app.
> in the new 24-inch iMac?

Well yes, but it wouldn't be too practical.

> 2. Controlled using a USB BlueTooth adapter in the Cube and an Apple
> BlueTooth Keyboard+Apple BlueTooth mouse to take care of it?

Some kind of wireless keyboard would do the trick, be it bluetooth or
not. I just played yesterday with Hercules iTunes remote controller:
http://www.hercules.com/uk/ipod-itunes/bdd/p/24/tunes-explorer-wireless/

Nice gadget, Mac compatible, and not too expensive. Would work really
nice for iTunes, but I'm wondering if it can be programmed to control
Quicktime or VLC for example.