[Cube] How to make the Cube a multimedia server

Stefan no-spam at punkt-x.de
Sat Mar 21 11:39:07 PDT 2009

Hello Don,

I bought such an instrument to measure the power
consumption (sorry, I didn't find the correct
english expression). That was not to expensice
(about 20 $ in germany, over here there are even
special local offices with energy advisers and
there one can lend such an instrument for free)

So I compared my machines.
The cube I used before my Mac mini spent a lot
(as I remember). Finally I used a TFT with
DVI-Port and shut down that monitor.

If you are interested I could repeat that (I've a
Cube with Gigadesigns 1.5 GHz, max RAM, max HD,
9200 Radeon, as far as I remember. Tell me if I
should measure.

But I believe, there is no power lead to the
ADC-Monitor when the cube is sleeping.

My Mac mini on the other hand only needs 2 Watt
sleeping and about 50 Watt idle.
The TFT is another story.

TFTs need much less power, when dimmed.
And modern TFTs are normaly dimmed nearly to 0%
of their brightness. My Dell is bright enough
with 0% brightness. Energy comsumption is up to
180 Watt with full brightness, but only about 70
Watt at minimal brightness. There's a huge
difference. (I didn't measure that in this case,
I read it about my model in a review. Maybe I
should proof it my ownŠ)

Unfortunately the CRTs need nearly full power all the time.

Hope I could give some hints (?)
Best regards
Stefan