[Cube] Cube Digest, Vol 57, Issue 2

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:25:17 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Christian Leue <christian.leue at web.de> wrote:
> in my humble opinion, you should not proceed with the upgrade. Spend the money on a Mini (which you'll be able to put to (quietly humming) productive use for a better part of the next decade again) and sell the Cube to a collector on eBay or keep it, but then relegate it as a memorable conversation piece.

I don't disagree with you, but can I ask a couple of questions about
this approach?  What does a basic Cube fetch these days from someone
who appreciates it for the aesthetics more than as a daily-drive
computer?   What's the going rate for a run-of-the-mill Mini, and is
it worth trying to find a used one or is it just better
(easier/faster/simpler) to buy new?  I don't plan to upgrade my Cube,
but I'm wondering if it's possible to jump to a Mini for minimal
expense.

> No matter how cool the Cube was nine years ago, no matter how much we adore and respect its designers and engineers for what milestones were achieved with it at it's time; technology has changed and we should move on.

It's a gorgeous machine.  I love mine, but it's far enough behind the
technology curve that there's tasks I do on a daily basis that are
better done elsewhere.

-ethan