recovering corrupt digital film images

Nathan Lim nathanlim at mac.com
Thu Jun 5 20:39:44 PDT 2003

I thought I remembered seeing a discussion about recovering images from
digital film some time ago, but at the time I did not have any corrupt
media, so it was not of interest to me.

Well, as you might have guessed, I now have a 128 MB SmartMedia card that
has corrupt images on them. The card claims to have no images on it, but it
only has a few MB free and we know we took pictures that we have not
downloaded. Anyone know how to recover these images?

At one point we, ahem, put the card in a SanDisk card reader on an XP
machine (I know, I know, my first mistake) and the volume mounted showing
many folders (presumably one for each image) with gibberish for filenames.
Taking the card out we could read/preview the images on the camera, but when
we took some more pictures and downloaded those, the first set
"disappeared". We can no longer preview the images in the camera and the
folders do not appear when mounted from the SanDisk media reader. However,
the card still has some already allocated space (i.e. the corrupted images).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Nate Lim