[DigiCam] Re: consumer camera - recommendations

itheshopper itheshopper at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 15 12:47:31 PDT 2003

My vote is for the Nikon 885.  You just can't go wrong with that.
As mentioned below, (by Adriaan van der Weel) Lens and SOFTWARE
make the quality.

Coolpix cameras are well supported by both Apple and Nikon
for OS X compatibility.  But software inside the camera (or call it
firmware, if you like) has significant effect on picture quality. I
have a
Coolpix 990 and have taken over nearly 4,000 pictures with it .
With 885 you get essentially the same, with a few less features,
few of which will you likely miss.  The bonus is less complexity.

ALSO: try to handle each of your choices.  Just holding them will
tell you a lot.  I would try hard to avoid buying a model that I have
not had the chance to to hold.
Bob K.