My ideal camera is....?

rjn rajala at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 18 08:22:50 PST 2004

After months of research I remain unsure, yet need to purchase a camera
very soon. If anyone is willing to respond with their advice it will be
much appreciated. I cannot afford the Digital Rebel or anything above
around $600. Any other info on strengths and weaknesses of the cameras
I am considering would also be appreciated. Thanks!

My criteria:

4MPX +
Good Zoom (5+ preferably 7-12x)
Good Macro (1-3" min)
Tripod mount centered on lens preferred
Great picture quality
Time Lapse capabilities
TIFF and/or RAW in addition to JPG
MANUAL focus, exposure
Good Shutter speed range (8 - 1/1000 min range)
Shutter Priority
Aperture Priority
Manual Focus ring
Some sort of swivel view or split body
Quick response time
Hot Shoe
Good in low light
Good battery life
Some lens options
Voice commenting would be nice

I am considering (drawbacks in parenthesis):

Nikon 5700 (No ring focus, tripod mount off center)
Minolta A1 (Macro only down to 5-9", tripod mount off center)
Sony f717 (only 5x Optical Zoom, No RAW, only 2 levels of JPEG
compression)
Panasonic DMC-FZ10 (No swivel viewer, No RAW, No TIFF)