[DigiCam] Deleting a photo in iPhoto

Bob itheshopper at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 2 19:24:54 PST 2005

If you value your photo's I recommend the following workflow:

• Prepare folder in the manner you plan to organize your pictures (e.g.
by date, or by event etc.)
• Import your pictures to your Mac,  into the appropriate prepared
folder, using Image Capture.
   	(To that effect, set Image Capture preferences to open when camera -
or card reader - is
	connected.)
• Either lock your pictures to make sure will neither delete nor modify
your originals OR
    	burn the images onto CDs or DVDs - (variation: lock your pictures
until enough of them
	collected up to justify the effort.)
• Import your pictures from the folder into iPhoto if you are using it
as your image organizer.
• After you did the burning, you have the option of deleting the image
file from the Finder folder.
	(Safely, because you can always bring back the original image file
from the CD.   For the
	 ease of finding the original file, if/when if needed, I always carry
the original file number
	in the name of the picture while editing and/or creating various
versions - including
	collages from multiple files.)  If you then delete in iPhoto, as
detailed by Donald Hodgson,
	you will have removed all copies from your HD.

Note: If you use the Photoshop (or Elements) Browser you may get
limited features, but they
work directly with your files in the Finder folders.  Judging from
SherleyK's comment,  iView does
something similar.  In those cases I still recommend burning, but not
deleting the Finder folders.

There are also several techniques for managing library folder sizes in
iPhoto, useful for managing
space, if limited on your HD, and, also to facilitate a simple back-up
process onto CDs or DVDs.

Bob K (not related to Sherley K)