[DigiCam] Deleting a photo in iPhoto

Adrian Smith adrianslists at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jan 2 21:37:21 PST 2005

>If you value your photo's I recommend the following workflow:
>
>* Prepare folder in the manner you plan to organize your pictures
>(e.g. by date, or by event etc.)
>* Import your pictures to your Mac,  into the appropriate prepared
>folder, using Image Capture.
>  	(To that effect, set Image Capture preferences to open when
>camera - or card reader - is
>	connected.)
>* Either lock your pictures to make sure will neither delete nor
>modify your originals OR
>   	burn the images onto CDs or DVDs - (variation: lock your
>pictures until enough of them
>	collected up to justify the effort.)
>* Import your pictures from the folder into iPhoto if you are using
>it as your image organizer.
>* After you did the burning, you have the option of deleting the
>image file from the Finder folder.
>	(Safely, because you can always bring back the original image
>file from the CD.   For the
>	 ease of finding the original file, if/when if needed, I
>always carry the original file number
>	in the name of the picture while editing and/or creating
>various versions - including
>	collages from multiple files.)  If you then delete in iPhoto,
>as detailed by Donald Hodgson,
>	you will have removed all copies from your HD.

Great suggestions!

However, you left off a few things which I consider essential :)
(but then I'm paranoid about loosing files).

* backups (multiple) of your files BEFORE you accumulate enough for a
CD/DVD. A CD can hold a lot of photos. If you wait to backup until
you have enough to fill a whole CD you are leaving yourself open to
loosing a lot of photos.

* multiple copies in different locations, eg duplicate on another
hard disk/machine, several CD copies "off-site" etc. I would never
trust my photos to a single CD. I've even been know to make my
multiple copies on different brands of media in case I get a bad
batch at some stage.

Really just good backup sense but for home users photos tend to hold
a lot more value than most of the other files on their computers:)

http://www.taobackup.com/

Regards,

Adrian