OS X, 2400, and Ethernet

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 5 11:30:22 PST 2002

A while ago I posted my story of getting 10.1 onto my 2400, and how I
found a cheap CompUSA Cardbus ethernet card for which I could download
drivers from Realtek. This is all still good, but I occasionally get
network lockups, and I wonder how robust the Realtek drivers really are.
(Also, maybe it's better on 10.2, which I haven't yet tried.)

I know that Mac OS X includes drivers for certain DEC and Intel ethernet
chipsets, and theoretically if you had a card based on those, no
additional software would be necessary. Proxim (Farallon) specifically
lists four of their cards that work with OS X out of the box, but they
are all desktop cards. I myself tried a Linksys MPC200 Cardbus card,
which I thought used the DEC Tulip chipset, and it didn't work with
10.1.5, but I didn't really consider it to be a conclusive test.

So, I am wondering, has anyone used any ethernet PC Cards with Mac OS X
on their 2400's which did not require additional drivers? I'd be
interested to know.

Thanks,
Ivan.