[Duo2400] Re: x86 emulator runs OS 8.1 on a truly compact maachine

Scott Holder ncc1701 at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 8 12:44:15 PST 2002

At 10:32 AM 12/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Leafing through a recent PCMall catalog last night I ran across the
>Fujitsu LifeBook P2120 which looks like it's about our preferred
>size/weight--though definitely not our preferred price range. But could a
>PPC emulator work in that? How modern a System would work? Proc is a
>933MHz Transmeta, RAM maxxes out at 384MB, ATI RAGE Mobility-M1 graphics,
>can hold a second battery or DVD/CD-RW in bay, built-in modem, 10/100
>ethernet, wireless option, huge GB HD's...
>
>Bob F

Well, the primary issue is going to be the lack of a PPC emulator at the
moment. Microcode Solutions has had one "due any time now" for about three
years. At the moment it's supposedly in final beta for a hardware-assisted
emulation (PCI card with real G3/G4 on it, also compatible with Amiga).
Once the software emulation is done, we'll see. I don't know how the
Transmeta chips' speed compares to Intel or AMD, but my guess is a 933mhz
chip would do at least a 200mhz PPC. That's just off the top of my head
though, may be much better, may be worse. Could be interesting none the
less though.

Scott Holder