Duo 280 won't boot from AC power

Simon Horn shorn at colba.net
Tue Dec 10 19:02:36 PST 2002

Hi all,

I'm afraid I know the answer to this question, but I will ask anyway.

I have a Duo 280 (210 with new screen & motherboard) that was running
in a DuoDock. I came back into the room to smell a burning electricals
sort of smell and found that the screen had gone blank. I turned off
the power immediately and ejected the Duo.

Since then the Duo will not complete booting when connected to the AC
power pack (not the dock, I haven't dared try the dock again). I get
the Happy Mac and you can hear some hard drive activity, but it is as
if it gets into a loop (the hard drive sound just repeats but nothing
more happens).

The Duo WILL boot from battery, but only if AC is not connected.
Anyway, since I only have one working battery (and not a very good
one), this is not a solution.

Before you ask, I have reset the power manager by removing all power
sources, including the backup battery for 15 minutes. Didn't help.

So, has anyone run into anything like this? I fear that something has
burned out where the AC plugs into the motherboard but I have not yet
removed the motherboard to investigate.

Thanks in advance,
Simon