[Duo2400] ON Topic: Inverter Board

Ben Smith (QM Systems) ben.smith at qm-systems.com
Thu Dec 12 08:08:17 PST 2002

The inverter board takes a DC input (12V?) and outputs a high voltage
(90-150V AC) to power the backlight, if the bulb is failing then it
will still glow, however it may be quite dim and often pink! However
if the inverter has failed then the bulb will not light at all.
I have found that the DC fuse on the inverter board quite often fails
due to old age, however the switching transistors, the transformer,
and the output capacitor are all common failure points.
Please be careful testing the inverter board, although the current is
quite low (a few ma) it can still be enough to give you quite a bolt,
(powerbooks do not appreciate being convulsively flung across the
room!!) also without a bulb to load it the output can rise to 400V or
so.
Ben.