OT!: Foreign or not?

Marc also at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 13 04:54:30 PST 2002

Regarding that German post to the list.

Aqua mentioned that this being a US based list...

That brought to mind that not so long ago when the US was making the
fundamental decisions that would frame the country as it is now, it
was only one single vote that instead made English the official
language. The language the US would have otherwise been speaking? -
German.

Had the French won those earlier battles with the Brits, vous serez
tous en train de parler Francais.

Give it another few decades and parts of the country may yet become
bi-lingual. How about getting used to that with more Spanish posts.
Ola!

Then again, maybe we should give credit to earlier claimants to most
of the continent. Admitedly, not much electronics in those days. But
then - credit to the Japanese, to whose market we 2400ers may owe the
existence of our small machines.

And let's not even start considering where our components come from.
How many blue keyboards out there? RAM modules? Toshiba drives?

Reckon that those limited to just English, should be thankful for the
effort being made by listers in all the other countries that are
allowing for that handicap. Would be enlightening to know the
percentage of posts originating from countries with their own
language.

Yes, a US based/maintained list, (of Candian origins) but
international knowledge, so thanks to the rest of the world for
making allowances.

Personally, my vote goes to making this the friendliest place on the
International net! The more the merrier, and the better off we all
are.

My two cents, one UK penny, treize centimes, couple of Yen...

Marc