[Duo2400] Re: OT: Add HD to IBM Thinkpad R-Series?

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 15 11:46:56 PST 2002

I guess the question more correctly is:

If I buy a new one, I know I can put a Travelstar or similar in it
without a problem.  I just wondering if physically, is it like doing
a 2400 or is it 'easy' to access like doing a RAM upgrade.

Sorry for the off-topic, but I thought someone might be using one on the list.

>  > I need to get a Thinkpad for my wife. (Mac is not an option...so
>>  don't bother. ;-)
>>
>>  I've found a good price on a no RAM/noHD machine.  The RAM is easy to
>>  install.  Anyone know what it takes to add a harddrive to the R32
>>  series?
>>
>>  It's probably the same as the A-Series, if that helps.
>
>Probably a 2.5" hard drive for starter.  I'm not familiar with Thinkpad
>series but the one I had uses 80MB 2.5" IDE drive.  If you already got the
>laptop, see if the IDE cable is present.  Also check the BIOS to see what
>the maximum HD size it can physically address as some really early model
>(probably 386's) only goes to 545MB and later (486's and early Pentiums) to
>2GB and so on.

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.