[Duo2400] Re: 2400 Memory?

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 29 11:47:29 PST 2002

Tom, Datamem does show different part numbers.

Their price is pretty good, if they really have it in stock.  Not
many folks even stock them anymore.

The 64MB SO DIMM I have in front of me is just labeled 64M 144P DIMM
(C5). It uses eight 8MB chips, four to each side.

For purely intellectual interest, it looks like it may be an EDO vs
non-EDO issue, with the 2400 requiring EDO memory. I browsed a couple
of articles in the Apple knowledge base and they referenced how a
2400's EDO ram would not work in a circa 1999 G-3.

This is pretty good summary of the issues:

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7rp9M7rYyZoC:www.geocities.com/~b
udallen/ram.html+edo+vs+non-edo+ram&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

There are definitely more technically astute folks on the list than
me that will probably chime in at some point.

I'd probably just order the RAM from Datamem. ;-)

>>This is now the second time I've heard this.  What is the difference
>>between an iBook SO-DIMM and a "normal" SO-DIMM and why are they
>>incompatible?  (This is not just a rhetorical question.  Without knowing
>>the difference, I'm unable to distinguish them and unable to find the
>>proper type for the PB2400.)
>>
>>-tom
>

>If you call datamem <www.datamem.com> they will sell you the correct
>64 meg SO-dimm for the pb2400.
>
>Mark

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.