[Duo2400] Re: 2400 Memory?

Andrew W. Hill jessicat at jmug.org
Sun Dec 29 12:23:51 PST 2002

>"Andrew W. Hill" wrote:
>>
>>  You can't use an iBook SO-DIMM in a 2400.  I think that might
>>  be the problem...
>>
>>  Aqua
>
>This is now the second time I've heard this.  What is the difference
>between an iBook SO-DIMM and a "normal" SO-DIMM and why are they
>incompatible?  (This is not just a rhetorical question.  Without knowing
>the difference, I'm unable to distinguish them and unable to find the
>proper type for the PB2400.)

The 2400 uses DRAM.  The iBook uses SDRAM (synchronous dynamic random
access memory).  It uses different access methods.  I believe the
2400 uses FPM DRAM at 60ns or faster, whereas the iBook uses SDRAM at
either 66 or 100MHz (depending on model).  This comes out to like 7ns
or something, but its a completely different kind of chip.  It's like
why you can't plug a PCI card into a NuBus slot.

It seems like you're trying to max this out, and theres a lister from
Japan that's digging up the 96MB modules.  Not certain, but I think
he's asking $270 for them.

Peace
Aqua