[Duo2400] Re: 2400 Memory?

Andrew Butitta dragoth at dragoth.net
Sun Dec 29 21:32:22 PST 2002

>>"Andrew W. Hill" wrote:
>>>
>>>  You can't use an iBook SO-DIMM in a 2400.  I think that might
>>>  be the problem...
>>>
>>>  Aqua
>>
>>This is now the second time I've heard this.  What is the difference
>> between an iBook SO-DIMM and a "normal" SO-DIMM and why are they
>>incompatible?  (This is not just a rhetorical question.  Without knowing
>> the difference, I'm unable to distinguish them and unable to find the
>> proper type for the PB2400.)
>
> The 2400 uses DRAM.  The iBook uses SDRAM (synchronous dynamic random
> access memory).  It uses different access methods.  I believe the  2400 uses
> FPM DRAM at 60ns or faster, whereas the iBook uses SDRAM at  either 66 or
> 100MHz (depending on model).  This comes out to like 7ns  or something, but
> its a completely different kind of chip.  It's like  why you can't plug a
> PCI card into a NuBus slot.
>
> It seems like you're trying to max this out, and theres a lister from  Japan
> that's digging up the 96MB modules.  Not certain, but I think  he's asking
> $270 for them.
>
> Peace
> Aqua

SO-DIMM is only referring to the packaging of the DRAM modules. It's the
access methods that the chips employ that really matters in cases like these.

I'm looking at the RAM module for my Panasonic Toughbook, and it says that it
takes 3v EDO 144-pin SODIMMs... If this is the same RAM as the 2400c, then
there is a distinct possibility that higher RAM limits could be found for the
laptop of choice on this list...

Here's a good start:
http://www.memorygalaxy.com/showroom/3381.cfm

I know it says 'proprietary' as the ram type, but i'm looking at my 32MB
module right now, and it says it's an EDO SO-DIMM, 3-volt, 144-pin (SO-DIMM
standard).

Here's hoping... If this turns out to be true, I may have to collect myself a
2400... :)

-Andrew
--
http://www.dragoth.net/ - digital drivel