New life for your Duo

Jose V. Gavila eb5agv at ctv.es
Fri Nov 29 01:59:00 PST 2002

Hello!

Some time ago I got a Duo 270c (I am trying to complete a Duo collection;
currently I have a 210, 230, 270c and coming soon a 280c and 2300c). It was
in good shape except for the top cover (has a burn mark) and the keyboard
which was unresponsive in most of the keys (you needed to press really hard
and in some cases you got several keypresses each time)

So yesterday I decided to give it a try and clean the keyboard. It is easy
to dismantle (hint: lift the keycaps by its rear side) and all the
procedure took about one hour (BTW, once there, carefully clean trackball
assembly). I did a very careful cleaning, using zero-residue contact
cleaner and a soft cloth. I went one by one all the half-moon shaped
contacts in the flexible circuits and also each conductive ring in the
rubber sheet. Now all keys work fine and, finally, can use the 270c to do
some productive work (keep a log of my electronics repair work)

Definitely worth a try!. BTW, my 270c has a 'C' revision keyboard (last one
is 'F')

Next step is to give same treatment to the 210 and 230 keyboards. I have
also a couple spares I plan to clean and keep ready to use.

Regards,

JOSE

PS: if anybody has a good condition 270c top cover, please, let me know.
Thanks!