[Duo2400] Re: STILL NEED TECH SUPPORT HELP!!!!! PLEASE READ THIS!!! (memory problem)

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Sat Apr 19 13:29:53 PDT 2003

Paul,  a couple of thoughts..

First, what size module did you take out?  Did it ever work, etc.
I've forgotten the history of your problem.

Second, what OS version are your running? I'm having vague
recollection under Sys 7.6.1 of something related to virtual memory
and for access to more than 16MB, i.e., VM must be turned on.  Then
again, it could my brain cells  thinking about Sys 6.x.

I thought someone else on the list recently went through at least two
'guaranteed to work' 64MB modules, that didn't.

Assuming OS 8.6, I'd lean towards bad memory and see if they'll swap
a new module.  The most clear cut way to differentiate between the
memory and the PB is to put  in a 32MB or 64MB known to be good
module.

Conversely, you could always try the new module in another
2400...assuming you have access to one.

Given all the upgrades that folks have been done over the last six
years, someone's bound to have a 32MB or even 64MB DIMM that have
lying around to let you try it with.  Heck, you could probably buy a
2400 w/80MB installed for $150 more than the cost of the module.(Not
that that is much help....mostly just depressing when I think about
it. ;-(

I'm betting on the module not being to spec, for whatever reason.

Later...

>Hi All,
>
>So I took what I thought was a bad memory card out of
>my PB2400.  The PB would boot to the desktop with a
>few "now enough memory" screen and then stop at
>stock 16mb.
>
>I ordered 64mb memory from DMS guaranteed to work in
>the 2400 (obviously).  Tried it again.  Same problems.
>  I was able to boot further with the extensions turned
>of (which pretty much make this setup useless...still
>can't open programs because of memory limitations..but
>I was about to open "about this computer" at it
>identified only the original 16mb memory with virtual
>memory turned off.
>
>WHAT GIVES??  Either the memory is incorrect or the
>computer has a further problem I didn't identify which
>inhibits it from addressing memory.
>

>Paul Miller
>pauljosephmiller at yahoo.com

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.