[Duo2400] Re: off topic jargon]

tom bonacci bonacci at ascend.com
Mon Aug 4 12:13:57 PDT 2003

You cannot decide here if "is" or "are" is correct until you have agreement
between the subject of the sentence and the predicate nominative. Regardless
of the verb chosen, you should not have a singular subject and a plural
predicate nominative.

correct:
 "A vital element is the collection of words..."
 "The vital elements are the words..."

-tom
(...who knows he should keep silent but just couldn't
help himself.)