[Duo2400] Re: Idea's Wanted For Long-term Laptop Storage

Eric L. Strobel fyzycyst at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 19:53:34 PDT 2003

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 8/5/03 6:31 PM, the entity known
as Andy Nicholl transmitted the following from andy at andynic.eclipse.co.uk:

> Try inserting a bit of tubing connected to a gas cylinder into the bag and
> letting it run for a few minutes to blow the bag up big with the gas.  Let
> it sit for 10 minutes or so for the gas to diffuse into the innards, and
> then squash it flat and seal quickly).

A reasonable (if somewhat improvised) nitrogen purge would involve placing
the Duo (w/ silica gel pack) in the ziplock-type bag and sealing almost all
the way.  Two tubes need to run into the bag, with the seal around them as
tight as possible.  I'd recommend one at each end of the seal.  Into one
you'd force the N2 gas, but the caveat is that you'd have to get a bottle of
gas from a reputable source that specifies the gas to be dry to start with.
The other tube is the vent, which you need to provide some avenue for the
moisture to escape.  BTW, I believe you'd want to pull the input hose and
seal that hole prior to pulling the output hose.

However, there's a much easier/cheaper way, if the climate permits and
you're willing to wait.  Simply schedule your 'mummification process' for
some day in the winter when the air is extremely dry.  The little silica gel
pack should handle the remaining moisture quite nicely.

- Eric.

--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)