[Duo2400] Orinoco v. Global Village

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Thu Aug 7 14:08:40 PDT 2003

At 1:57 PM -0600 8/7/2003, tom bonacci wrote:
>I've seemingly got a problem with interaction between an Orinoco 802.11b
>wireless card and a Global Village modem/ethernet card in a PB2400 running
>OS 8.6.  If the Mac is booted with both cards inserted, the Orinoco card
>cannot be selected for AppleTalk or IP.  The Orinoco control panel says that
>"no card is inserted or the driver is not present."  The GV card works
>correctly.  If I boot with just the Orinoco card inserted and the GV card
>removed, the Orinoco card will then work correctly for both AppleTalk and IP.
>
>Does anyone have an idea why the Orinoco card will not work when both cards
>are present at boot time?

I don't know for sure.  I do know that the GV driver is a little
funny.  It may be more an issue with the way the OS handles Ethernet
drivers on the PowerBook.  I couldn't have Ethernet Drivers for two
different cards (GV and Kingston) installed in the system
simultaneously.  Installing one seemed to overwrite the other.  The
doces mentioned it but only briefly.  This was on a PB 5300.  I have
the Orinoco drivers and one of the others installed on my 5300 but
haven't tried using both cards.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA