[Duo/2400] Long term storage of laptops

wayne ingalls ingallsw at frontiernet.net
Fri Aug 8 19:55:21 PDT 2003

Chuck forwarded a message from another source about long
term storage of his favorite Duos:

>  I don't follow this list, but I agree with Dan if you want a vapor
> proof bag, you need a metalized bag, polypropolyne and most
> other flexable plastics, absorb water and outgas both into the
> air and the bag.
> Vacuum sealing with the right bag, desiccant and a VCI inhibitor
> would do the trick.

Wow! if it was true that most flexible plastics absorbed water and
outgassed it into the air, I'd be able to work such magic in my job
that I'd be a hero overnight. Unfortunately, there are only one or
two plastics I know of that will absorb moisture and they aren't
available as flexible materials yet. They're also incredibly
expensive in comparison to most plastics in use as packages.

Polypropylene is a much better barrier than polyethylene, but
it's not very common to see PP in a clear bag. Usually you'll find
it as metalized PP. Vacuum sealing isn't a requirement. If you
can vacuum seal the bag you'll require less desiccant or VCI
but as long as the bag is sealed to prevent any outside moisture
from leaking in (other than through the bag material itself)
you only need to add enough extra desiccant / VCI to handle
the additional volume of air.

Anyway, I think you have the general idea. If you're able to
find some military surplus metal boxes/drums that fit your
Duos, you'll get even better moisture protection than from
any bag you can buy. Otherwise look for bags with a foil or
metalized layer, as there are smaller gaps between the metal
molecules than between plastic molecules.

-wayne