[Duo2400] Re: off the wall project

Jani Tiainen jani.tiainen at keypro.fi
Thu Aug 14 01:07:40 PDT 2003

> "Jani Tiainen" <jani.tiainen at keypro.fi>
> wrote:
> > Well, this is pretty good alternative, altough
> > ordinary lightbulbs tend to
> > wear out in fast speed switching.
>
> Hmm... I seem to recall just the opposite. That is why
> they are (were) used in Vegas etc. for so long for
> animated signing.
> >Better results can be obtained by using eg.
> >halogenlights that are much more resistant to
> > temperature changes and can handle more short time
> on/off cycles.
>
> Is this true? If I understand the differences, the
> high voltage startup is similar to the problem that
> early flourescents had. Certainly the high operating
> temps can be a major problem. From my expriance the
> halogens can be a major problem if subjected to minor
> abuse. Oh, and if you have a limited budget the cost
> of a few hundred bulbs at $.25(-) is a significant
> difference from $2.50(+). The halogens are, however,
> much brighter. Which, of coarse is the problem with
> LEDS.
> So... If one can create an ideal situation where a
> dark corner is available, the projection system is the
> cheapest solution for an easy, mininimum commitment
> and maintenance (unless major bucks) arrangement. You
> might even get some support to buy a new display by
> selling some SPAM. At least, it might shame the others
> to do something besides sitting on the...bleachers.

Well, halogens perform better if there is high speed switching and temp.
changes. But they indeed (which I forgot) wear out much faster than ordinary
bulbs. And you get more light with less power.

But anyway, system is in all cases same.

I would recommend that you do experiment with small battery operated bulbs,
piece of (maybe diffusive) plex, colored transparent film and blackpaint.

All you need is just a bulb(s), few on/off switches, battery (or some
adaptor can do if have spare ones) and other thingies and build one
miniature number. In real system you just replace on/off switches with
low-voltage operated relays and logic that controls those relays...

Anyway, is another possibility, but as considering that you're trying to
build scoreboard you never had such a conditions in gym. Except if kids want
to play in dark =)

Well as a summary... Best you can have with small amount of money is
lightbulb(s), plex, masked with black nontransparent paint and red
transparent film.

As someone suggested EL-elements are a "bit" expensive ones (except if you
can have one for free).

And so are big bright LEDs.

 - Jani Tiainen

"The sale begins when the customer says yes. - Harvey Mackay"