[Duo2400] Re: Glod survey

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 18:08:46 PDT 2003

Two major data points for GLODS seem to be heat and the Power
Manager. The following has been posted before, but if you're new on
the List it might save you some grief.  FWIW, Chuck's credibility and
technical rating is 4-star.

At 10:32 AM -0700 9/19/02, chuck goolsbee wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>I'll also add one bit of advice that has prevented me from seeing a
>GLOD in over two years now...
>
>After a friend of mine who runs the service area of a local Apple
>dealer told me this, I've never seen a GLOD: Never plug the
>computer-side of the AC cord into the 2400c unless it is already
>plugged into an AC outlet at the other end.
>
>Additionally, whenever a battery falls out while the unit is
>sleeping *do not* re-insert the battery until you have plugged it
>back into a power outlet (starting with the wall-end) first.
>
>I had several occasions when the battery would fall out while it was
>in my briefcase... and I would not know it until quite some time
>later. If I popped the battery back it would GLOD about 90% of the
>time. Bad GLOD that required some time to fix. However if I opened
>the 2400c lid, and then put it on AC power (before I re-inserted the
>battery) it would start without fail.
>
>Go figure.
>
>I will reiterate: since I started living by these rules, I have
>never had a GLOD.

--chuck

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.