[Duo2400] 2300c/9.1 CD-ROM question

Joseph Getchel JGetchel at wi.rr.com
Wed Dec 3 05:38:51 PST 2003

On 12/1/03 9:59 AM, hartley at childrenmuseum.org apparently said:

>I have a pair of Duo 2300c's with a single docking station.  The Duos
>came with a minimal 7.5.2 installed, which is not new enough to put an
>AppleShare client on, so I upgraded one of them to MacOS 9.1.  That's
>when things got interesting...
>
>Because I don't have the rectangular SCSI cable that would fit on the
>back, I popped the cover of the docking unit and ran a 50 pin SCSI
>cable from the internal SCSI port to a CD-ROM that's in an old UMAX
>c500.  (All I needed was the CD-ROM and the power supply.)  This worked
>great under 7.5.2, but now that I've bumped up to 9.1, no CD I put in
>the drive comes up on the desktop.
>
>Has anyone seen this before??  Thanks!!
Joe,
The problem is that the CDROM drive used in the UMAX clones (Matsushita
was the manufacturer, I think), is not supported by the standard CDROM
driver.  The reason that it worked under OS 7.5.2 was that for a while
Apple made a "universal" CDROM driver, that would work with any CDROM
drive.
Your alternatives:  1. Find the file that makes up the CDROM driver on
the system that still runs OS 7.5.2, and transfer it to the OS 9.1 system.
2. There is a "hack" for the CDROM driver that will make it work with
any CDROM drive. It requires using ResEdit.
3. Get a copy of FWB CDROM Toolkit, which contains a driver that supports
the Matsushita drive.
4. Probably the easiest - get an Apple branded CDROM drive.  They are
often available from the usual Macintosh vendors (Smalldog, etc.)
Regards,
Joe Getchel