[Duo2400] Re: Browsers

jeff hewitt beatniqe at cavtel.net
Fri Dec 5 18:01:06 PST 2003

i just tried out a browser called mac web, on 8.1... it got me
thinkin... instead of trying to get a modern browser to run on archaic
hardware, why not take a different approach.  my ibooks down until i
come up with $350 for a repair, so i'm back to a venerable 5300ce.  In
trying a plethora of browsers on it, attempting to get the best speed
possible, it occurs to me that much of the modern browsing experience
is frivolous at best.  What i need? Stability. Speed, Text. Modern java
compatibility. What I don't need? Pictures or ultra fancy formattig.
Eyecandy is a luxury my flaming powerbook simply cannot afford.  What
would be nice is for someone to design a minimalist browser that simply
defaults all images to a 1kb jpeg, similar to what i see when a pic
won't load in safari...  Something that handles tables and java and not
much else.  I'm not really familiar with the development tools in the
classic os, anyone out there have any ideas on this? seems to me that
an updated version of mac web might do the trick...?