Resistors, capacitors, fuses

Paul Simons phsra at voicenet.com
Fri Dec 26 09:13:14 PST 2003

fuse is either good - conducting - or bad - open. When it's overloaded it
blows, thereby doing its job protecting other parts. A resistor can be
burned up and open or shorted but is normally of a certain value in ohms,
can be fixed or variable. Good capacitors can store DC and also pass a part
of an AC or pulsating DC voltage. A microprocessor is an incredibly complex
device combining the functions of resistance, capacitance, and
semiconductivity, built with layers of semiconducting elements. I'm not an
engineer, just a repairman, and I'm sure there are better descriptions, but
I hope this helps.