SMC8041TX and Freezing PB2400

Hugh Schickel hschickel at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 05:13:08 PST 2003

All,

I have an SMC8041TX EZ Card 10/100 ethernet card. In one of my PB2400s
the card works beautifully. In the other the card will cause a hang
during file transfer operations and sometimes even internet operations.

The specs for both machines:

PB2400/180/112/1.3
Yellow wires clipped to enable cardbus.
OS 7.6.1, 8.1, 8.6, 9.2.2
Orinoco Gold WiFi Card - works in both machines
256MB Compact Flash Card - works in both machines
SMC8041TX EZ Card 10/100 ethernet card - works in one machine but not
the other

The hangs happen randomly, regardless of OS. I wiped the drive and
reinstalled the various OS's from the working machine. This also
resulted in hangs. The hangs happen regardless of the slot used. 2
other cards work normally. I'm guessing the problem is maybe power
related (draw on the card?).

I personally cracked both books to install the 96MB memory chip and
remove the yellow trace wires to enable cardbus (I don't have any cards
- the books were open so I clipped the wires). I have no problem
cracking the machine again but I'd like some ideas as far as what to
look for or maybe some alternate troubleshooting ideas. For instance,
is it possible that clipping the trace wires screwed with the power
management of the ethernet card.

Thanks,
Hugh

--
"Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits." - Thomas A. Edison