[Duo2400] 2400: firewire

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 06:21:27 PST 2003

>Dear Gurus,
>	 Can I connect my iMac (DV) to my 2400 with a firewire pc card? If
>so, can I use the iMac as a backup hard drive?
>					Donald McCaig

I can't remember if the iMac DV supports Target Disk Mode or not. In
short, if you start up your iMac, and hold down the T key immediately
after the chime, within a few seconds you might see a floating FireWire
logo rather than the usual startup stuff. If so, you may then connect it
to a started-up 2400 with a FireWire card, and it will appear to the 2400
as a FireWire disk (which you may then use for backup, etc). To shut
down, *first unmount the iMac volume(s) from the 2400*, then hold down
the power button on your iMac until it shuts off.

If you can't get the floating FireWire logo, then you don't support
Target Disk Mode on the iMac, and you can't connect the two machines via
FireWire. You can't do Target Disk Mode on the 2400 (well, you can, but
for SCSI only, and only if you have 4 GB or less for a hard drive).

If you don't already have a FireWire card, you will need to first enable
your 2400 for Cardbus before you can use one, and you will need Mac OS
8.6 or later. Also, you will need the extension "FireWire Cardbus
Enabler", and version 2.7 or later of the extensions "FireWire Support"
and "FireWire Enabler." If you don't have these, you can pull them out of
the "Installation Tome" file of the 9.1 or 9.2.1 updaters (which you can
download from Apple) with TomeViewer (available from versiontracker.com).

Ivan.