[Duo2400] "Bus Error" from floppy

Patrick Selliers patsel at bredband.net
Thu Feb 13 14:56:07 PST 2003

Herman,

Generally any 1.44 Mb Floppy (Mac or Pc) will work - unless there has been damage to the media. Any PC 1.44 Mb floppy inserted into a working floppy drive will result in a dialogue box asking you would you wish to reformat it into Mac format. Try reformatting on another mac and the try using it on the 2400. If this doesn´t
work - it´s likely that either the 2400 floppy drive or something on the recipient side: anything from a pinched cable to the 2400 motherboard is at fault. You may have a combination of issues too: it is fairly common that 2400 floppy drives mount the inserted floppy, but then refuse to eject it. Inserting an "unfolded"
paper clip (metal) into the tiny hole on the front of the drive will usually get it out. Admittedly this is not a very attractive solution in the long run. I´d lose the floppy and go for Compact Flash media (pc-card) on the road combined with an ethernet pc-card or simply use plain AppleTalk via the old printer cable. The
latter is slow for larger files, but it´s cheap. Both solutions are to be preferred to the 2400 floppy drive when it comes to saving on bulk and weight. Plus you won´t be limited to 1.44 Mb storage no more.

Patrick Selliers