Browser crashes

Marc also at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 28 07:15:50 PST 2003

About browser crashes--

>>Unless someone has a brilliant solution, only advice I can offer is
>>trashing the "MacTCP DNR" file out of the system folder whenever
>>things get a bit unstable, and quiting from iCab whenever I have
>>finished using it.

>I've been doing this for a while now, and things have
>been going much more smoothly. iCab still crashes
>occasionally if I interrupt a download or something,
>but it works fine as long as I just let it go through
>its paces. Thanks for the help, Marc!

Peter,

iCab must have seen me writing to you - just after that have had a
rash of iCab, Explorer and Eudora spontaneously crashing. Seems to
get to this about every few months.

I assumed there might also be a corruption of the current
communication settings, so decided on trashing them too for a real
clean sweep. But before doing so, noted the settings on paper, and
saved them physically by exporting to another folder. Then did all
the trashing, restarted, and re-entered as necessary. (Two or three
minutes in total.)

To do that, from the "Remote Access" control panel menus I opened up
the Configurations panel for it and for both Modem and TCP/IP panels.
First write down the details, then export all the separate configs to
a new folder as a backup - you can always bring them back if things
go pear-shaped. Possibly worth backing these up, too, at some point.
If you've got a bunch of different configs for each like I have
(office, road, home, France, Australia type thing) one folder with
separate folders within for "Remote Access", "TCP/IP" and "Modem"
might simplify rebuilding at a later date.

Then delete the following from the Preferences folder:

- Internet Preferences
- Modem Preferences
- Remote Access (whole folder *)
- TCP/IP Preferences

- iCab's whole cache folder, in preferences folder **
- Explorer's cache in "MS Internet Cache" folder

- and of course the original "MacTCP DNR" form the System Folder

Restart, do a little quick typing back in of the three configs areas,
and begin with rather a fresh slate!

* suspect the ever growing "Remote Access Log" in here, may have been
the cause of some problems back when I let my system partition fall
very low on memory.

** seem to remember someone saying they trash this on a daily basis.

Marc