[Duo2400] Start up problem

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 3 20:38:42 PST 2003

Not that it matters now, but I think 7.6.1 is the earliest bootable
version for the 2400.

Boot it from OS 9, then change the Startup Disk control panel so 8.1
is your Startup Disk. I'm kinda surprised it didn't keep looking for
a good startup system and find 8.1 on your other partition.

If you have the original 2400 emergency floppy disk(Disk Tools2) w/OS
8, that would be the easiest way to assure an external startup.  If
you have any CD with a startup system, like TechTool Pro, etc., you
can try Cntl-C at startup, but I've had to redo it a number of times,
mostly depending on how fast the CD drive spins up...so the internal
HD doesn't beat it to the startup sequence.

>Here's the problem folks, I partitioned my drive out into two
>volumes. One was running 8.1 merrily and I loaded 7.6 on the other.
>Restarted to 7.6 and it tells me this startup volume won't work with
>this Mac (every spec I've read says 7.6 should). The problem I'm
>running into is that I can't redirect it back to the 8.1 volume, all
>I can do is restart to the same volume. All I have is an external HD
>with OS9, I'm going to take it home and hopefully it will shift and
>start up off that drive. At start up is there any way for me to
>force it back to booting from my 8.1 partition? How about forcing it
>to start from the external HD?
>
>Thanks
>
>Larry

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.