New G4 vs. 2400c

Donald McCaig McCaig at va.tds.net
Thu Jan 9 12:32:52 PST 2003

Dear Gurus,
	Mr. Kippert wrote: "It seems to me the only honest reason for
hanging onto a 2400 (or any other older PowerBook for that matter) is
simply because you just don't need
anything newer."

	I guess that's me. I'm a professional writer who travels into some
godawful places with my 2400/240, power adapter and euro adapter, short
phone cord and one spare battery. If I'm  in the US I carry a car adapter
too. I back up on the internet or, failing that, on my PC card - which is a
backup boot drive just in case.
	If I'm going to be working entirely outdoors in the US I bring my
280 because I can read the screen.
	I'm running 7.6.1 because I can use popup folder and because
hitting the alt key and the view gives me instant "sort by name". I don't
care if I ever play radio, music ,movies on my computer's tiny speakers.
	The 30g hard drive is segmented so I can use the HFS+ on 8.6. I am
considering Linux for another segments because apparently its apps don't go
out of date.
	I am grateful for the G4. Might bring down the price of the 400
upgrade and I'm glad I'll have the G4 when becomes impossible to buy
batteries for my 2400.
	I am also grateful for the help I've gotten on this list and hope
it stays in business.
						Donald McCaig

Yucatec Farm
Williamsville, Virginia