[Duo2400] Re: New G4 Powerbook vs the 2400

Mark A. Kippert mark at helpmymac.com
Thu Jan 9 12:44:57 PST 2003

Andrew W. Hill on 1/9/03 2:21 PM wrote:

>> As for something that ain't been invented, ten bucks says it won't work with
>> anything less than OSX when it hit's the market.
>
> Well, yeah... we're talking about the 12" TiBook here right?

What I meant was, if someone invented some cool new PC card doohickey, and
actually wrote drivers so that you could use it on a Mac, they would
probably only develop an OSX version. Hence rendering it unusable on a 2400.

> I guess computing style comes into it.  I don't take AC adapters or
> external drives with me.  If you still have that smartmedia PC card
> I'd be interested in buying it from you.  I just got one at Circuit
> City that said it would work with all PCs, scanners and printers.
> Doesn;t work with my 2400 (works on a Dell PC though).

How strange that it doesn't work.

I'm actually hanging onto mine. Occasionally my kids use the PB1400 with the
camera. However I think I bought this one at a Target Store here in Indy for
$10, but that's been a while back...I think. Heck, I buy so much crap I
don't remember where most of it comes from...

> Trade you my airport base station for the G4 :)

OK fine, but shipping's gonna be $800 (and no local pickups!!). No wait!! I
forgot that I'll have to go with the AirPort Extreme! Sorry! ;^)

> Yeah.  I'm gonna wait to see how this TiBook goes.  It'll take me
> probably a year to save the money, and hopefully the problems will be
> known and resolved by then.  Either that or they will have killed it
> off and I might get one second hand.

Speaking of waiting, there is one thing that might make me wait a bit
longer. I just read about a new 64-bit, PowerPC 970 processor that IBM is
coming out with. Smaller and less power-hungry than the best G4 and runs at
1.8GHz. I saw it in the February issue of MacAddict. I skimmed through the
article Tuesday so I don't recall details (were the heck did I leave it
laying) but I think they indicated that Apple hasn't publicly committed to
it yet. But if/when they do, there's a good chance it will be in Macs before
the end of the year. If so, it will make for one killer processor for
PowerBooks (they mention a 1.2GHz model).

Damn...why can't I just be happy with what I've got?!?!?!?

-Mark