[Duo2400] Re: Al/PB-12" Production Model Testing

Mark A. Kippert mark at helpmymac.com
Mon Jan 13 09:12:13 PST 2003

Bill Fox on 1/13/03 11:43 AM wrote:

> It's not the hardware. The Apple Store's demo software had a modified
> Energy Saver preference panel that lacked the lower popup menu for
> switching processor performance from reduced to highest when the power
> adapter was plugged in. The 867 MHz I was testing ran at the reduced
> 667 MHz no matter what I selected in the upper popup menu including
> "Highest Performance". I discovered this AFTER I had posted a review
> that said the 867 TiBook was slower than the 800 TiBook. :-(
>
> I suspect this may also be the reason for Rob's slower than expected
> results.

How strange. I wonder how this would possibly benefit Apple when trying to
sell people on the new smaller, faster, G4 PowerBook? Or any other
PowerBooks for that matter, assuming Apple's policy is to cripple/reduce
processor speed on all demo models (ie. why only cripple the 12").
Especially in a market where competing Windoze machines are mostly gigahertz
machines.

-Mark