[Duo2400] Re: Expanding the list -- not closing it.

Ralph Mawyer mac2400 at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 13 21:55:27 PST 2003

Eric,

My inflated two-bits....

1. This really is a tight, thoughtful community.....and differs
significantly from the iBook list, for whatever reason.  I'd hate to
see the focus watered down.  It gets a bit diverse, just trying to
filter traffic between the Duos and the 2400s as it is.

In fact, I think the members of this list have maintained the type of
rationale, mature dialogue rarely found on public lists today.  I
think this was really brought home when I worked through a similar
outstanding forum thread on Rob Galbraith's Digital Photo site,
http://www.robgalbraith.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&
t=000631, which is getting lots of activity due to his comparison of
the Mac and PC platforms:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/diginews/2003-01/2003_01_07_macpc.html

2. I think the fact that it made sense to start the iBook list
recognizes the distinct differences the then new hardware and
software had over the Duos/2400s.  The fact that there is a 12" iBook
of the same size as the Al/PB also makes it a bit hard to justify
this as a pure sub-compact list.  Somehow I don't see the iBook users
coming over just because they have a 12" vs 14" screen.

It may be interesting to see if the Al/PB-12 takes on a life of it's
own(like the 2400) since it has some characteristics of the iBook and
the PowerBook, and therefore can't really be addressed in total by
either existing forum.

3. While discussions over whether one should migrate to the Al/PB-12"
will occur on the iBook, PB and Duo Lists, they will be on topic
because such discussions are directly related to the hardware you are
currently using.

4. I believe the point raised about diversification between the OSX
and pre-OSX users is probably key to this discussion, particularly
since neither the Duos or 99.9% of the 2400s will ever run OSX.  Some
of the posts in the DigiNews forum thread mentioned above do a great
job of expressing how significant a change to OSX is, with respect to
one's 'production' environment.

Possibly it's an evolutionary thing, but I'm not so sure that a
Al/PB-12 list might not make sense....at least once more than two
people actually own one. ;-)

All that said, if I buy a Al/PB-12, I really would rather come here
than anywhere else to acquire the knowledge and wisdom of guys like
Sidney Ho, Chuck Goolsbee, Marc Sira, Ivan Drucker, Bill Fox, Jake
Luck, Peter Liethen, John Mistretta and all the other folks that have
provided so much content for mac2400 and this list.....and of course
Brandy who adds a bit of female Aussie flavor, when its sorely
needed. ;-)

In any case, a public thanks to you for supporting all these lists.
They are greatly appreciated....

Cheers...

Ralph Mawyer, Jr.
San Antonio, Texas

Associate Editor
mac2400 ... http://www.sineware.com/mac2400
Your PowerBook 2400 Reference Site
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1759.