2400 to Al/PB-12" Conversion Costs

Glenn R. Fong fongg at t-bird.edu
Tue Jan 14 04:04:09 PST 2003

> From: Ralph Mawyer <mac2400 at satx.rr.com> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003
> I've almost talked myself into waiting, once again, for Rev 2...
>
> Al/PB-12" - $1800
> Applecare - $349         (This hurts,  I just bought a new
> ThinkPad and +2 Yrs was $132)
> 512MB Memory - $100
> Airport Card - $100
> MS Office - $200
> USB Ext Keyboard/Mouse - $100(Wireless)
> USB Smartmedia device - ? $30
> Firewire to SCSI converter - ? $50
> Other OSX Software Upgrades - ? $500 (Utilities, shareware, etc.)
>
> Total - Appx $3000+?; Even if I go with the iBook it leaves me around $2500.
>
> Kinda making my 2400/G3-320/112MB/30GB continue to look pretty good.
> Guess I'm getting tight in my old age, since I spent $3500 on a IIsi
> in the early 90's and was thrilled. ;-)

> From: Larry Friedman <larry.s.f at mindspring.com> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003
> I hate to think that Apple crippled the 12", I've heard that the
> GoForce 420 chip-set is pretty slow. I've also been seeing tests that
> the iBook 800 is close to its performance is real world usage. God help
> us if they drop the 15"'s muscle into it. MMMM 1MB L3 cache. I want to
> find comparisons against my Pbook G4 550 and the iBook 800. This is a
> true shame because I was getting really excited.

Ralph, I've kept an old MacZone catalog that lists the stock 2400 for "only
$2999" and the kind of extras you list.  I know many of us didn't buy it at
that price, but to me it makes the Al/PB-12 inch "look pretty good."

Larry, on the same catalog page is the first G3 PowerBook that had a faster
processor, more RAM, larger HD, larger backside cache, more video RAM, and
built-modem and ethernet (for $5699!).  No matter when we bought our 2400s,
we were buying "crippled" goods.  Didn't stop us then, and doesn't stop us
now from defending our beloved 2400s.

Guys, can we give the new PB 12" the same kind of breaks we've given our
2400s?