[Duo2400] Laptop power requirements in Spain?

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 02:50:44 PST 2003

>My daughter's Dell has the same type of power cord in-line AC to DC
>converter as does our PowerBook 2400c. These say "Input: 110-240 V AC"

If the brick says that it handles 110-240, it should be safe for overseas
use, and all that should be required is a prong converter (or a new cable
which attaches to the brick which ends in the appropriate prongs).

I'm not clear from your statement whether the Dell has the same kind of
connector at the computer that the 2400 does, but if so, I still wouldn't
use the 2400 adapter with the Dell, or vice versa.

>The power coming out of the wall in her dorm is 220 V. What -if any
>other considerations need we consider?

No other considerations. Either the Dell or the PB 2400 should work fine.

>Can she simply plug the laptop's power cord into the Spanish adapter (2
>round pegs) and plug it into the wall with no fear of damaging the
>circuitry?

As long as the adapter says it's rated for 110-240 V AC, then yes, you
may do so without fear. I mean, of course a surge surpressor wouldn't
hurt, but theoretically you're not doing anything you're not supposed to.

>Or need we worry about frequency (Mhz) or any other issues? The
>literature that comes with these travel electric adapters is sparse and
>the university has certainly not been forthcoming with any help
>regarding conversion issues.

Nope. Most laptops made in the last many years have been intentionally
designed with power adapters that you can take anywhere. You just need to
get the appropriate prong converter. You do NOT need a voltage converter
of any sort and I would advise against using one.

I just took my iPod and my Handspring Treo to Italy and both worked like
a charm, just like here.

Ivan.