[Duo2400] Re: Wireless cards

Mark Semon msemon1 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jan 21 11:01:43 PST 2003

>Hey,
>
>I've been looking at wireless PC cards so I can hook my 2400 into
>the office and home Airport networks. So far I've seen the Lucent
>"Orinoco" and Farallon "Skyline" models. Does anyone have experience
>with these? Is the cardbus mod required for something like this?
>Which ones do you guys prefer? Since my only experience with
>wireless is Airport, what software do you use with these on 8.6?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Larry

Larry, the Skyline card works great. I used it on my 2400. It comes
with a CD that actually installs MAC OS drivers for this card. If I
recall, it's the only non-airport card that has mac drivers. I do
know that many here on the list have used the Lucent cards and use
TomeViewer to strip out the correct driver, etc... to make it work. I
haven't looked into it in a while, so maybe there are some other
options out there.

My preference would be the Skyline card. I ran System 8.6 on my 2400
as it only had the 80 megs of ram.

You do not need a cardbus enabled 2400 in order to use a 802.11 card.