[Duo2400] Re: Alternate RAM

Andrew Butitta dragoth at dragoth.net
Wed Jan 22 23:13:02 PST 2003

> I'll be curious to know what happens from your experiment.

The 64MB SO-DIMM arrived today, and I installed it in my Toughbook.

It works perfectly. I now have 80MB of RAM.

Thus, as I said before, I am willing to donate my previous 32MB SO-DIMM to the
cause. If anyone feels brave enough to try it in their 2400, I'll ship it to
them ASAP.

As far as the DIMM working or not, I don't know. The info that Dan sent along
was great, and makes me wonder... It very well may not work, who knows. But
I'm pretty sure that if it does work, any EDO SO-DIMM will work.

My reasoning:

 - Hearsay: Upon initiating my search, I found that most places agreed that my
Panasonic's RAM was proprietary. 64MB SO-DIMMs for my specific model were
priced anywhere from $80 - $400. SO-DIMMs for the next model up were $35.

 - Documentation: 'Address bits 9 and 10 are swapped' says to me that if one
module must be 2400-specific, then they *all* must be. However, if having 9
and 10 swapped is normal, who knows?

That's why we try it, and find out! If it *is* a simple wire-swap job like
Ivan said, then feel free to use my 32MB module as a learning tool!

Wishing luck,
Andrew