HD Spool Times

Jeff Rothfus saranac.tv at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 23 02:59:00 PST 2003

The original hard disk on my stock Duo 280c is finally driving me crazy.

In an effort to improve battery life, I've told the hard disk to spool
down frequently. But the time it takes to repeatedly spool back up for
data access is becoming increasingly frustrating when compared to more
modern machines.

I have a G4 tower at home, but the Duo is still in daily use for e-mail
on the road.

I'd be interested to hear suggestions from the group as to which upgrade
would produce the biggest bang-for-the-buck improvement in hard disk
spool-up times ...

[1] replace the stock SCSI 80 with a more modern SCSI 320?

[2] replace the mother board with a 2300, and convert to an ATA disk?

[3] boost the RAM to 32 Meg and run a RAM Disk?

TIA

jeff