best subnote for writer?

Jeff Abbott jabbott at ninewire.net
Mon Jan 27 08:38:49 PST 2003

Hi: I'm new to the list, so I apologize if my questions are newbie-esque. I'm intrigued by the G4 subnotebook but not wanting to shell out $1800, so looking at the Duos (specifically the 280c) and the 2400c for the first time, and wanted to ask the group for thoughts/opinions about which system is best for my needs. I'm a writer. I would use a subnotebook primarily for writing, notetaking in meetings, and field research work, with probably only these "oldies but goodies" apps on it:

InControl 2  and/or Palm Desktop v2 (PIM)
WriteNow 4.0.2 (Word processing)
Nisus Compact or Nisus Writer 4.1.6 (WP), or a higher version if the installed OS supports it
MORE 3.1 and/or Acta (outliners)

The sub would replace my Newton MP2100 as my on-the-go system (I can type faster than I can  handwrite with the Newton, and can edit longer documents more easily on a sub, I hope). I would need to be able to transfer information back and forth from the sub to either a Pismo 400 or an iMac 333, or, more rarely, RTF files with (gulp) a Dell PC running Windows NT.

So my burning questions:
Is the 2400c--given the relatively high price and hard-to-find availability--overkill for this kind of work? If I buy a 2400c that needs work (new mo-bo, new logic board, etc.) how hard it is truly to get repair work done?

Are the Duos too limited for exchanging info if you *don't* have a DuoDock? (ideally would like to be able to use Ethernet crossover between a sub and a desktop system for exchanging information, if possible, otherwise would use floppies, I suppose). Like the price of the Duos more than the 2400cs, but don't want to buy into an endless headache of not being able to easily move information back and forth between sub and desktop systems, and have no desire to turn the Duo into a desktop system.

If there are other freelance writers on the list using a 280c (or other Duo I should consider) or 2400c in their work, I would really love to hear about your experiences/problems with these systems, please feel free to email me off-list if preferred. This system will make an important contribution to my livelihood if I buy one, and I really need to make a sound choice.

Thanks in advance for thoughts/suggestions, and again, apologies if my questions are overly naive.

Best,
Jeff Abbott
jabbott at ninewire.net