best subnote for writer

Donald McCaig McCaig at va.tds.net
Mon Jan 27 13:20:12 PST 2003

Dear Gurus,
	Mr. Abbott asked for information from freelance writers about
subnotebooks.  I've asked so many questions on this list and received so
much help, I'm grateful to provide an answer for a change.
	I've carried  duo's through Albanian minefields and in saddlebags
over the Rockies, taken notes in academic conferences and  dropped them
twice. (Top opening bags only, please.) Both times they survived.
	I've a nat geo  friend who bought a solar charger for his duo for
an assignment  in the Gobi.
	I currently own a 280  because it has the only duo screen you can
read out doors and an upgraded 2400c which is my desktop and portable. Both
are minidocked and when I'm home I use the 280 for backup. I use
WordPerfect but keep Microsoft word because that's what the editors use,
eudora for email and icab for browsing. I keep wordperfect, eudora and icab
on the tiny hd 280 .
	I am also networked with an ethernet adapter to an iMac.
	I liked the 280c fine but I can see the 280 better - even though
the screen goes black in the corners.  I'd love to buy a new screen. The
2300c is too slow.
	Indoors 2400c, upgraded if possible. Outdoors 280.
	PS. easiest way to backup from afar is by sending email attachments
of your daily work home.
					Donald McCaig