[Duo2400] Re: Different NIMH type batteries; what do they mean?

ElBrio at aol.com ElBrio at aol.com
Wed Jan 29 10:59:31 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/29/03 1:33:31 PM, small_moose_ltd at mac.com writes:

>I heard there are ways to rebuild your own battery with cells purchased
>from
>a company, which would be much cheaper as long as you're fine with the
>technical side of things, andI was wondering if its an easy process to
>find Type III or IV cells yourself for this purpose?
>In my case, it would be to revive a totally dead battery on a Powerbook
>Duo 230.

Couple of web pages out there, but basically you will need AA NiMH cells WITH
TABS for Type 1's, and 4/5th's "A" cells for Type II and III.  10 cells and a
soldering iron will get you on the path to 2-3 hr life batteries.  I've done
4 or 5 batts, all worked well.  www.batteriesamerica.com is one site, do a
search for Sanyo or Panasonic cells.

Go for the highest capacity tabbed cell possible.  2150 mAh seems to be the
highest 4/5th's A out there....tho some were marked 2500 or 2600 mAh at one
time, these seem to be off the market.  I have one batt redone with cells
marked as such, seems to be no difference between them and the 2150's.  On
Type I batteries, I've got one with 1800  mAh cells...but the life is not
much longer than with 1500's.  Don't know if it was worth the extra cost.  Do
get TABBED cells...soldering to a cell can kill it.

Takes me an hour or two to do a battery....$40 and time is better than $140
or so in BushBucks (based on a 1,6 to 1 xc $ to £ sterling).

Cheers!
Andrew