[Duo2400] Re: Wavelan/Orinoco Bronze 2400c?

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 12:58:48 PDT 2003

--- Brian Getz <briang113 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is a guess but I bet the Bronze card uses
> different firmware so requires different drivers,
> seeing as Bronze is older and the Silver and Gold
> are newer.

It's not that, the different "colors" relate to the
encryption level or number of bits used for the
encryption. Silver cards are cheaper because they
are the lowest encryption level.

You should match the encryption level of all your
wireless networking stuff, or at least make sure the
base station has a card that matches the highest level
used by any computer that will be using the network
AND is backward compatable with lower encryption cards
AND can automatically switch to lower encryption
levels as needed.

Of course you'll need the right drivers to go with
the card as well.

If you want to boost the range, you can disconnect
the antenna from the card in the AirPort then with
a little "plastic surgery" run a cable to a bigger
external antenna. Some guy in Australia rigged up
unidirectional antennas to his AirPort and original
style iBook and was able to connect 17 kilometers
away. :)

=====
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." Hiro Protagonist