Duo internal modem VS DuoDock modem?

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 20:19:03 PDT 2003

then Edgar wrote:
>Asante's EN/SC device is the smallest external e-net controller. I doubt it
>that you could transplant its basic components to the interior of a Duo.
>Would be nice though.

I pulled apart a Micro/Mini/whatever EN/SC and a 2300 and the only place
I could find inside to place the EN/SC's PCB was over the HD. When using
a 9.5mm drive there is plenty of space.

On a 2300 the internal scsi port should be free for use, so I figured
it's really just a matter of hacking a scsi ribbon. A low-profile RJ45
jack can be added to a non-modem power card and there you have it.

However, at about the same time I was exploring this idea I came across a
NetDock, that acquisition kinda took the wind out of these sails. :-)

and Brian Getz wrote:
>According to the developer note on the duo docks
>
>There is a "modem adapter card to connect the
>PowerBook Duo modem to a phone line"
>
>So no onboard modem, modem must be in the powerbook.

The Duo modem is like a WinModem, partly (largely?) in SW, plus if you've
ever looked at a modem 'card' inside a dock, it looks suspiciously like
the same part inside the Duo itself. I don't actually know the answer to
the 'will the dock modem work without the Duo's modem card being
installed?' question but I'd say one cannot tell without actual testing.

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500